• "BSA" stands for "Birmingham Small Arms".
• BSA was founded in 1861 in the Gun Quarter, Birmingham, England by fourteen gunsmiths of the Birmingham Small Arms Trade Association, who had together supplied arms to the British government during the Crimean War.
• The company branched out as the gun trade declined. In the 1870's, they manufactured the Otto Dicycle (see picture right), then in the 1880's, the company began to manufacture bicycles, and in 1903, the company’s first experimental motorcycle was constructed.
• BSA remains a well-recognised brand throughout the world.
• At its peak, BSA was the largest motorcycle producer in the world.
MORE INFORMATION & RESOURCES:
BSA Australian & New Zealand Clubs:
• BSA NSW
BSA Rally Websites:
International BSA Clubs:
Australian British – Historic Motorcycle Clubs:
BSA Forums & Single Model Pages:
The Otto Dicycle
A motorcycle show featuring BSA's, just after WW2
One of many fun vintage adverts for BSA motorcycles
Meet our Club President, Mal Mackay!
Mal is Liverpool-born, and arrived in Australia at the age of 3.
"My dad had an early A7 and then an A10. My first BSA was a push bike … then a 1950 M21… Bantams … I raced Jawa at Rowley Park Speedway and later took off to ride speedway in the UK in 1969, riding for Halifax and then Workington. From 1970 to 1977 back in Australia racing at Rowley Park.
Two broken legs, numerous injuries and a latter day classic meeting at Murray Bridge, coming off and being run over. Ouch!
From that time on, I have rekindled my early passion for BSA’s and now have the pleasure of being president of a great mob of fellow enthusiasts".
Joining Mal on the BSAOC of SA Committee are:
PRESIDENT. MAL MACKAY. 8445 2766
VICE PRESIDENT. BRYAN DUNN. 0416 154 594
SECRETARY. JONATHAN MOORE. 0418 830 552
TREASURER. STEVE HOLMES. 8353 1912
EDITOR. DAVID LONG. 0413 899 189
CLUB CAPTAIN. BRYAN DUNN. 0416 154 594
LIBRARIAN. JOHN MIKUTTA. 8264 5116
FEDERATION REPRESENTATIVE. GEOFFREY WOOD. 8272 3897
HISTORIC REGISTRAR. IAN ROUNSEVELL. 8297 1986
2ND HISTORIC REGISTRAR. DAVID PEARSON. 8288 8242
PUBLIC OFFICER & SAFETY OFFICER. HOWARD PARSLOW. 8331 9208
COMMITTEE MEMBER. JIM NIXON. 0418817146
COMMITTEE MEMBER. IAN LAMMING. 8250 6790
COMMITTEE MEMBER. ROD BAILEY 0406982582
COMMITTEE MEMBER. ALISON JONES. 8390 3177